Search This Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Why is this so freaking hard?

In 1999, I ran my first 5K.  During my training, I thought there was something wrong with my heart and/or lungs, because no matter how steady I kept my pace, no matter how many times a week I trained, it HURT my lungs and chest soooo bad.  The irony...I honestly didn't figure out what was wrong with me until a few days ago.

I found out someone I love very much, and want only good things for, has picked up a nasty habit.  This person has started smoking.  I started thinking about all the health problems smoking causes: tooth decay, wrinkles, shortness of breath.... WAIT a second, HOLD the phone.  In 1998, I stopped smoking--Cold Turkey.  Oh my Gosh, do you think? Could it be?  My lungs had not healed from all the damage I had caused them.

Now, it is 2010. I haven't smoked since 1998.  So why is this so HARD?  It's not my lungs, it's not my chest.  It's my ankles, and my shins.  As long as my pace was steady, I could probably run the whole 5K right now without hurting my lungs at all.  Honestly, I know "why".  If I was a shin supporting almost 200 lbs. of body every other pace, I would cry out in agony too.

So, if you have hints, tips or tricks to stop shin pain, then by all means, pass them on to me.  They hurt so bad tonight during my stretch, they almost felt like I was experiencing charlie horses. 

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment